(The Beginning)Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church, located in Lebanon, Kentucky, celebrated its 100th Anniversary October 27, 1974. In anticipation of this event, Irene Maupin, Emogene Farmer, and Barbara Jean Benningfield were assigned to compile a history of the church. We appreciate their time and effort in this endeavor. The following information is what they compiled from church records and bulletins, associational minutes, the local newspaper (Lebanon Enterprise), personal interviews and other histories. This information is presented with the hope that it will recall many precious memories and renew an appreciation for the heritage of the church. It is generally believed that Muldraugh Hill Church grew out of a Baptist church at New Market which was destroyed by a tornado in 1870. An article in the March issue of the Lebanon Clarion described the destruction caused by the tornado. The following story is printed as it appeared in the newspaper:
Little is known about the age of the New Market Church, except the name does appear in records as early as 1856. On September 22, 1856, New Market Church was dismissed from Russell Creek Association and entered the Lynn Association organized November 8, 1856. The church entered that association on that date with 79 members. In the 1859 minutes of Lynn Association, New Market is listed with 71 members. A deed was drawn for the ground where Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church is presently located on February 3, 1873 with Nathan and Elizabeth Sapp as grantors of the deed. The deed, as written in 1873, is as follows:This Indenture made this 3rd day of February 1873 between Nathan Sapp and Elizabeth Sapp, his wife, as party of the First part and Thomas Underwood in trust for the use and benefit of the United Baptist Church of Christ as party of the second part Witnesseth. That the parties of the first part for and in consideration of ten dollars to them in hand paid hath bargained and sold and by these presents doth grant bargain and sell and convey to the party of the second part for the use aforesaid a tract of land lying in Marion County on the Campbellsville and Lebanon Turnpike road which is bounded as follows: Beginning at a Sassafras Walnut and Maple on said pike corner to Mr. Livers fence with the pike in the direction of the Rolling Fork 22 poles to a white oak at the end of a ditch cut in a pond on the pike fence East along said ditch 7 poles to a stake then South ll-2 poles to a Spanish Oak and dogwood comes to said Livers fence North 55 west with the line of said Livers 18 poles to the beginning. To have and to hold the said tract of land with the appurtenances to the said party his heirs and assigns for the use of said church forever with covenant of Special Warranty Witness Our Signature this the day and year first above mentioned. Nathan Sapp Elizabeth SappElizabeth Sapp is given as one of the charter members of the Church. However, the name of Nathan Sapp does not appear on the records until October 1887, when he along with several others was baptized. Nathan Sapp not only granted the ground, but he and his son, Perry, were also instrumental in partial construction of Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church, as indicated by Perry Sapp's obituary which was in possession of John Hundley, son of the late Rev. W.C. Hundley. The obituary states that William Perry Sapp was born in Marion County, Kentucky, on October 21, 1847, and died October 25, 1930, at the age of eighty-three years and four days. He was the son of Nathan and Elizabeth Vessels Sapp. He was married in 1867 to Susan Bright who died in 1887. To their union were born seven children: W. T. Sapp, G. A. Sapp, J. N. Sapp, Nannie Rice, Zennie Colvin, Carl Sapp, and Frances Horton. The obituary says that William Perry Sapp united with Muldraugh Hill Baptist and was one of the oldest members at the time of his death. He and his father, Nathan Sapp, hewed the sills by hand and donated them to the building of the church. The obituary reads, "Brother Sapp was born-and reared in sight of this church and will now be laid to rest on a part of his home place where he spent his life." Descendants of the Nathan Sapp family are among the membership of the Church today:•Descendants of W. T. Sapp are Mrs. Esther Allen and daughter, Norma Ray. •William (Billy) Veatch and his children, Estelle Veatch Brady and Bobby Veatch; David Veatch and his children, Donnie and Jeannie; and Bernard Veatch are descendants of George A. Sapp. •Descendants of John N. Sapp include Coy, Twyman, Marion, Sudie, Mildred, Mrs. Nettie Sapp Colvin, Mrs. Mabel Sapp Yates, Terry and Steven Yates. •Descendants of Frances Sapp Horton are J. D. Horton, Dorothy Horton Bishop, and Frances Horton Thompson. The dedication of Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church was announced in the Lebanon Weekly Standard on October 13, 1874 by W. L. Ramsey. The article appeared as follows:
New Market, Ky., Oct. 13, 1874. Correspondence of the Standard.Please announce through your paper that the new Baptist Church near the foot of Muldrough's Hill, on the Lebanon and Campbellsville turnpike, is nearly completed. It will be called the Muldrough's Hill Church. The first or introductory sermon will be preached by the writer, on the fourth Sunday in this month at eleven o'clock, and all the members of the old New Market church are requested to meet there on that day at 10 o'clock A.M. The church will be constituted on Saturday before the first Sunday in November, and will be dedicated on the first Sunday in November. The sermon will be preached by Rev. Henry McDonald, of Georgetown, Ky. W. L. Ramsey
The dedication of the church took place November 4, 1874, with Rev. Henry McDonald preaching the sermon. Henry McDonald, D.D. was raised up to the ministry, and labored a number of years, within the bounds of Russell Creek Association. He is a native of Ireland, was raised by devout Catholic parents, and was educated with a view to the priesthood. Being averse to becoming a priest, he ran away from his parents, and came to the United States. Making his way to Greensburg, Kentucky, he entered upon the study of law, under Hon. Aaron Harding. Under the preaching of B. T. Taylor, during an extensive revival at Greensburg, young McDonald professed conversion, about 1852, and was baptized into the fellowship of Greensburg church, by Mr. Taylor. He at once abandoned the study of law, and commenced the study of theology, under the directions of John Harding. He was ordained to the ministry, about 1854. After serving the church at Greensburg, some ten years, he accepted a call to Danville, where he ministered about twelve years. From thence he went to Covington, where he remained only a few months, when he accepted a call to the church at Georgetown, where, in addition to his pastoral labors, he filled the chair of theology in Georgetown College.A brief historical sketch of "Muldraugh's Hill Church" is in the minutes of the Russell's Creek Association for 1880 on page 7:HISTORY OF MULDRAUGH'S HILL CHURCHThis church was constituted with thirteen members, on Saturday before the first Sunday in November, 1874, in a new church building costing $1500 dedicated on Sunday by a sermon by Bro. McDonald. A pastor was called on that day, and Bro. Thomas Underwood chosen, who continued his ministration from 1874 until 1879. During the five years in which Bro. Underwood acted as pastor, the church was in a flourishing condition, and at the time he left the church numbered 121 members. Within this time, however, a great many letters were granted. The first deacons of the church were W. W. Rafferty and E. C. Wise. Afterward Bros. William Faucett and D. Walker were added. And Bro. W. F. Cowherd was ordained August 1, 1878. Bro. Porter Rafferty was our first clerk, serving in that capacity for three years. Bro. D. Walker acted as clerk for one year and was followed by Bro. Moses Farmer. At the expiration of his term, Bro. Wat Richeson assumed the duties, and he is clerk at the present time. Muldraugh's Hill Church is the outgrowth of the efforts of the Home Mission Board, of Russell's Creek Association, Bro. Thomas Underwood acting as missionary by direction of the Board. The brother canvassed the territory and secured the means for the purchase of the beautiful location and the erection of the church edifice, which is a handsome building, 36 by 54 feet in size, well finished, and paid for. There is a well in the yard. Bro. Underwood spared no pains nor labor in the work, riding all over the territory and superintending in person all the business, for all of which we hope he will have his reward in the world to come. He has been a good and faithful minister in this part of the vineyard, and had it not been for his zeal in the cause, the church in all probability would never have been built.Records of 1874 through 1878 were burned in the home of the church clerk, Porter Rafferty, whose house was destroyed by fire. For this reason we have two conflicting lists of charter members. In 1901, 25 years after the church was organized, Bro. J. L. Collins and Porter Rafferty were appointed to prepare a list of the charter members of the church. This list includes:•Bro. J. C. Benningfield•Bro. E. C. Wise•Sister J. C. Benningfield•Bro. S. T. Wise•Sister Elizabeth Abell•Sister Mary E. Wise•Sister Elizabeth Sapp•Bro. W. W. Rafferty•Sister Prissalla Thompson•Bro. J. W. Rafferty•Sister Maggie McDemar•Bro. Porter Rafferty•Bro. Richard NolleyAnother list which was in the possession of Mary Stockman Burrice, who was baptised August 11, 1896, reads:•Mr. & Mrs. J. C. Benningfield•Mr. & Mrs. Peter Abell•Mr. & Mrs. Jake Miller•Mr. & Mrs. Ward Rafferty•Mrs. Lucy Carter•Mr. Richard Nolley•Mr. Perry Sapp•Rev. & Mrs. Thomas Underwood________________________________________________________________________________________________ARTICLES OF FAITH AS ADOPTED BY MULDRAUGH CHURCH AT HER MEETING OF ORGANIZATION (NOVEMBER 14, 1874)•lst We believe there is only one true and living God whose name Jehovah The Maker and Supreme ruler of heaven and earth. Inexpressibly glorious in holiness worthy of all possible honor confidence and love revealed under the personal distinction of Father Son and Holy Ghost or Spirit Equal in Every office in the great work of Redemption.•2ndThat the new and old Testament is the infalable word of God and is perfect treasure of heavenly instruction. That it has Salvation for its End and truth without mixture of Error for its matter. That it reveals the, principals by which God judges and therefore is and shall remain to the End of the world - the true center of Christian union and the Supreme Standard by which all humane conduct creeds and opinions should be tried.•3rdThat man was created in a state of holiness under the law of his maker. But by voluntary transgression fell from that holy and happy state in consequence of which all mankind are now sinners not by constraint but choice. Being by nature utterly void of that holiness required by the law of God wholly given to the gratification of their own sinful passions and therefore under just condemnation to eternal ruin without difference or excuse.•4thThat the Salvation of Sinners is wholly of grace through the mediatorial office of the Son of God who took upon himself our nature yet without Sin honored the Law by his personal obedience and made atonement for our sins. By his Death Being risen from the dead he is now in heaven and uniting in his wonderful person the tenderest Sympathies with the divine perfection in Every way gratified to be a Suitable - Compassionate and all Sufficient Saviour.•5thThat the great gospel blessing which Christ in his fullness bestowed on Such as believe on him is Justification. That Justification consists in the pardon of Sin and the promise of Eternal Life on principals of righteousness that is bestowed not in consideration of any works of righteousness which we have done. But solely through his own redemption and righteousness that it brings us into a State of most blessed peace and favor with God and Secures Every Other blessing needful for time and eternity.•6thThat the blessing of Salvation are made free to all by the gospel. That it is the immediate duty of all to accept them by a cordial and obedient faith. And that nothing prevents the Salvation of the greatest Sinner on Earth except his own voluntary refusal to submit to the Lord Jesus Christ which rejection will subject him to an aggravated condemnation.•7thThat in order to be Saved - we must be regenerated or born again that regeneration consists in giving wholly disposition to the mind and is effected in a manner above our comprehension or calculation by the power of the Holy Spirit. So as to secure our voluntary obedience to the gospel. And that its proper evidence is found in the holy fruit which we bring forth to the glory of God.•8thThat such only are real believers as Endeavor to the End that their perserence Attachments to Christ is the ground work which distinguished them from mere professors. That a special providence watches over these wellfare and they are kept by the power of God through faith unto Salvation.•9thThat the law of God is the eternal and unchangeable rule of his moral government that it is wholly just and good and that the innobility which the Scriptures asscribe to follow man to fulfill its precepts arises entirely from their love of Sin to deliver them from which and to restore them through a mediator to obedience of the holy law is one great end of the gospel and means of grace connected with the establishment of the church.•10thThat a visable church of Christ is a Congregation of Baptist believers associated by Covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel. Observing the ordiance of Christ government by his laws and exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His word. That its only proper 0fficers are Bishops or fathers and Deacons as defined in the Epistles of Timothy and Titus.•11thThat Baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordiances of the Church. That Baptism is immersion of a penitent believer in water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the authority of a church and always preceeds the Lord's Supper. That the Lord's Supper is the use of Bread and wine to set forth the Sufferings and Death of Christ proceeded by a solemn Self Committal.•12thThat the first day of the week is the Lord's day or Christian Sabbath and is to be kept Sacred to Religious purposes by abstaining from all secular labor and recreation by the observance of all the means of grace both private and public and preparation for that rest that remaineth for the people of God.•13thThat there will be a resurrection of the Dead both of Just and the unjust. That there will be a general judgement. That there will be a separation of the righteous and wicked and that the happiness of the Righteous and the punishment of the wicked will be eternal.___________________________________________________________________________________________CHURCH COVENANT FOR THE UNITED BAPTIST CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST AT MULDRAUGHS HILL MARION COUNTY, KENTUCKY AS ADOPTED AT ITS ORGANIZATION (NOVEMBER 14, 1874)As we trust we have been brought by divine grace to embrace the Lord Jesus Christ and by the influence of his spirit to give ourselves up to him so we do now solemnly covenant with each other that God enabling us we will walk together in Brotherly Love that we will exercise a Christian care and watchfulness over each other and faithfully warn rebuke and admonish one another as the care shall require. That we will not forsake the assembling of ourselves together nor omit the great duty of prayer both for ourselves and for others. That we will participate in each others joys and endeavor with tenderness and sympathy to bear each others burdens and sorrows. That we will constantly endeavor to bring up Such as may be under our care in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. That we will seek divine aid to enable us to walk circumspectly and watchfully in the world denying ungodliness and every worldly lust. That we will strive together for the support of a faithful, evangelical ministry among us. That we will endeavor by example and effort to win souls to Christ and through life amidst evil report and good report seek to Live to the glory of Him who hath us brought out of darkness into His marvelous light._______________________________________________________________________________________RULES OF DECORUM FOR THE UNITED BAPTIST CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST AT MULDRAUGH HILL•lstThe Church shall meet for the transaction of business on Saturday before the first Sunday in each month at 11 o'clock A.M.•2ndThe Church shall have a presiding officer called a moderator whose duty shall be to call the church to order and put all questions that come up by motion and second to the church by voting and in case of a tie give the casting vote but he shall not be allowed to vote in any other case.•3rdNo member shall have the right of more than three speeches to one question without permission from the church, arising from his seat and addressing the moderator.•4thNo member following the one who has spoken shall cast any reflection on his speech.•5thNo member shall call any member by any other term or affiliation except brother or sister.•6thAll private offenses shall be treated according to the 18th chapter of Matthew.•7thAll public offenses shall come before the church by the appointment of a committee whose duty shall be to go to the offender and request them to come to the church and make their acknowledgements or defense.•8thNo member shall have the right to leave church during its session of business except by permission of the moderator.•9thThere shall be no whispering or talking during the conference of the church.•10thAll questions shall be decided by a majority of votes cast except in the reception of members when it shall be unanimous.•11thNo questions shall be debatable or ready for discussion except coming up by motion and second.•12thAppointment of Committee.•13thIt shall take no less than five members to form a forum to transact business of the church.•14thIn order to defray the expenses that each male member over the age of 21 pay $2.00 and each male member under the age of 21 years pay $1,00 and each female over the age of 21 years pay $1.00 and each female under the age of 21 years pay 50 cents and the rest of the expenses be paid according to what we are worth and a failure to do this we forfeit our membership.•15thIt shall be the duty of the church to open her doors for the reception of members before the close of the session._____________________________________________________________________________________________In September 1879 Rev. E. H. Brookshire was called to serve as pastor. On Saturday before the fourth Sunday in December 1879, by motion and second, the church agreed to take Bro. Kerkendall to preach one-half of the time for Bro. Brookshire. This continued for a period of about 10 months. Immediately upon the resignation of E. H. Brookshire, J. C. Wray was called as pastor in November of 1883. Financial problems plagued the church, which possibly was the reason for Bro. Wray's short ministry. The pastor's salary per year depended upon the amount of money the members contributed, although the pastor usually asked for a set salary ranging from $100.00 to $250.00. The sexton's salary was from $9.00 to $15.00 per year. Usually a committee of three people was elected to raise subscriptions (money pledged) for the pastor's and sexton's salaries and mission causes. Money raised in this manner was not always sufficient for the needs. Once the church considered imposing an advalorem tax on itself. That the church was hard pressed for funds is evident when on one occasion they decided to "go to the law" to see if they could get Bro. Newton to pay what he owed the church. The sexton or housekeeper had to furnish his own supplies such as oil for the lamps, brooms, and wood for fires. Besides cleaning the church building, the sexton was also responsible for the upkeep of the racks that were put around the fence for a hitching post. There is no record of any business meetings between July 1884 and April 1885. Realizing the struggling condition of the church, Bro. Thomas Underwood accepted the pastorate for the second time. In 1885 the July minutes of the church read as follows:Saturday before the lst Sunday in July, church met in regular order for the transaction of business. Bro. T. R. Farmer was called to the chair as moderator. The committee consisting of the deacons of the church reported they had concluded the church pledge themselves to pay Bro. Underwood $50.00 for his services the ensuing year and all money paid by persons not members, he receives in addition to the $50.00. Moved and seconded the report be received and the committee discharged. Motion carried. Moved and seconded the church pledge themselves to pay the amount as suggested by the deacons. Motion carried. Bro. Underwood accepted the call of the church.The following persons agreed to pay the following amounts on pastor's salary: Bro. Mills$2.00paidSister Mike McDemar$5.00paidBro. Lake$5.00paidMollie Hardin$5.00paidWm. Hardin$1.00paidElizabeth Richardson$3.00paidE.C. Wise$3.00paidGeorge H. Phillips$5.00Bro. Colvin$2.00Mrs. C. Russell$1.00paidRobert Wise$1.00George W. Moore$1.00Bro. Nawley$1.00paidJohn Thomas Farmer$0.25Mrs. Fulks$1.00paidGeo. Battcher$0.25Mrs. Lake$1.00paidJohn White$1.00Mrs. Short$1.00paidTaylor Abell$3.00D. Cowherd$2.00paidThomas Hardin$3.50Mr. Abell$5.00paidJohn L. Collins$3.00paidSister Mills$1.00paidSister Riceson$5.00Sister Sapp$0.50W. D. Bright$1.00paidJ. D. Maupin$0.50Sister Putman$1.00paidJohn Gibson$0.25Sister Putman$1.00paidEdmon Riggs$0.25T. Farmer G. H. Phillips, Clerk Pro Tem.
An exerpt from the Lebanon newspaper reads:New Market - September 14, 1885 Rev. Thomas Underwood, assisted by Rev. V. E. Kirtley, has been conducting a series of meetings at Muldraugh's Hill Church, resulting in 11 accessions. The baptizing took place at the river on Friday. Mr. Kirtley is an able divine, and has greatly endeared himself to this people.Less than a year later, upon the resignation of Bro. Underwood, Rev. V. E. Kirtley, in August of 1886, accepted the call of the church to preach twice monthly (lst and 3rd Sundays) for a salary of $200.00. The automobile was practically non-existent in the late 1800's. Before people had automobiles to drive, they generally walked or traveled by horseback or some kind of horse-drawn carriage. One naturally concludes then, that transportation and weather conditions at this time greatly affected church attendance. In fact the records of April 1887 state:Saturday before the lst Sunday in April 1887, the church met and after preaching by the pastor, the church became organized for the transaction of business. There being no reference from last meeting and as the weather and roads having been bad through the winter. In consequence of which the congregation has been small and the clerk having been absent, we are minus a record since September. On motion and second it is ordered that the minutes of this meeting show that the State meeting since September has been attended by the pastor and that Bro. C. F. Putman put in his membership with this church at the September meeting and that Bro. Charley Russell united with church at the January meeting. Motion and Second to adjourn. V. E. Kirtley, Moderator J. L. Collins Clerk Pro TemIn connection with transportation by horseback or carriage, an amusing incident was related to the committee by almost every older person with whom they talked:One Sunday morning a Mrs. Lucy Carter rode in her Phaeton to church, hitched her mare and went inside. While the worship services were in progress, the mare gave birth to a colt, a scene visible to the whole congregation through the church windows. Mr. Wash Moore came to the aid of the poor animal, releasing her from the carriage and rendering such assistance as necessary. Afterwards, someone remarked, "It would surely be a good horse for it was born at a good place on a good day."In a "History of Kentucky Baptists" by J. H. Spencer he states the protracted meeting became a feature of the polity of the Baptist church as far back as 1837. Hitherto, even during revival seasons, meetings were held only on Saturday and Sunday with an occasional night meeting, and that usually met at a private home; and the most zealous enterprising minister could not stretch his conscience beyond a 3 day meeting. But now the meetings began to be pro-tracted from day to day during a period of two weeks. When the revival season passed the church continued to meet once a month, have Saturday and Sunday preaching, and exercise strict discipline over its members. But there were few additions to the church by experience and baptism "tillanother revival season came around and after the church would be much diminished in numbers by death and exclusion." In September 1887 Dr. A. C. Graves assisted Bro. Kirtley in a protracted meeting at Muldraugh Hill described as "a joyous revival of religion." A protracted meeting is discussed by Rev. V. E. Kirtley in a letter to the Russell's Creek Association. It is unknown when Muldraugh Hill joined the Russell Creek Association. Letter to the Russell's Creek Association from United Baptist Church of Jesus Christ at Muldraughs Hill in Marion County, Kentucky. To the Russell's Creek Association when convened with East Fork Church in Metcalf County, Kentucky in September 1887 is as follows:Dear Brethering Since we last wrote you we have reason and we trust feel to thank God for his love and mercies and kind dealings with us through the past years. True we have not enjoyed the blessings of the Lord as it has been our privelege to do or as we might have done and death has claimed and taken from our number several of our beloved brothers and sisters in Christ (members of our church) and among the number is one that you have often met and counseled with in your association and that many of you have heard preached the Word of God that he doubtless proved the power of God to the saving of your own souls and will still prove that power to all that will yet believe that preached word. We mourn for our beacon light has gone-the Time Honored Servant of God that founded this church and spent his last with us has gone to his reward. (Bro. Underwood) But we have had Bro. V. E. Kertley to preach for us twice a month through the past year and the Rev. Dr. Graves to assist him in a series of meetings which is now about to close and results in great good. Our membership has been very much received. We have had forty-nine (49) conversions and forty-seven (47) will be baptized tomorrow and four (4) have joined by letter. God will be praised for his blessings. Pray for us Brethering that we may ever enjoy the love and grace of God in our hearts and that our efforts may be to advance the interest of His cause and kingdom in the earth. Failing to get a volunteer we send no one to sit with you in your councils at this session. We trust your wisdom and council. Our membership now stands as follows: Males 67 Females 88 Total155 Lost since our last report are 7 by death, 7 by letter and 16 by revision of list. V. E. Kirtley moderator J. L. Collins Clerk Pro Tem.New converts that were added as the Blessing and results of the series of meetings mentioned in letter above were:By Baptism:•Alice Hicks & Wife Loutisha Hicks•James Cooper & Wife•Sam R. Yates & Wife•Ignatious Wise & Wife•James Jacobs & Wife•Parker Wise & Wife•Joff Maupin & Wife•Parker Wise & Wife•John Benningfield & Wife•Annie White•Sam R. Newcomb & Wife•Maggie Benningfield•George Sturgeon•Abraham Wise•Wm. White•Mattie Newcomb•Richard Wise•Reubin Benningfield•Jessie R. Acre•Mrs. J. D. Maupin•M. H. McElroy•Effie Russel•John T. Farmer•Loula English•Wm. Waide•James Russell•John S. Wise•Iva Allen•Nathan Sapp Sr.•Annie Farmer•Willie F. Harding•Nora Lake•Artimecie Harding•Cara Fuiks•Fannie Allen•Miss Rury Hayland•Annie Bell RusselOthers mentioned:•Andrew Jacobs, restored•Tolipha Jacobs, by letter•Vester Malcone, watch care•Mrs. Malone, by letter•This is the first mention of Nathan Sapp's name on record after giving the ground for the church site. Under Bro. Kirtley's leadership the church seemed to progress financially as well as spiritually. In July, 1888, the church met to call a pastor and adopt a system for raising finances for salaries and church expenses. A committee was appointed to solicit subscriptions to pay the pastor--one-fourth of said subscription to be paid in advance and the remaining three-fourths due every successive three months. E. H. Brookshire was again called as pastor, if he could not accept, a call would be extended to Bro. J. H. Rife. If he would not accept, a third call would be made to C. M. Reed of Lancaster, all for once-a-month. The salary was to be $120.00 for 12 months. At the August meeting of 1888, Bro. Brookshire stated that if 12 of the bretheren would guarantee him $120.00 and give him what he could get, he would preach, or if the church would give him $120.00 and pay him $100.00 the next meeting, he would take a chance on the balance. Apparently, the chances were not good, for Bro. J. H. Rife made an appearance at the December meeting of 1888 and gave this reply concerning the call of the church. He stated he could preach "for the church" or "to the church", if the church wanted him, but if he preached, he wanted to preach "to the church", as he much preferred to preach "to a church" than "for a church". He requested that if anyone of the church did not mind him or was not willing to cooperate with him, he hoped they would manifest it then by rising, by proxy, or any way to express their feelings, and that he would take no exceptions at anyone so expressing themselves. He waited a moment to hear from anyone. He wanted and hoped that if there were no objections offered now, that there would be none hereafter, and that he might have the cooperation of all. After no objections were offered, Bro. Rife said he accepted the call of the church. In order for the pastors to fulfill their responsibilities at other churches, meeting dates were often changed. The early church records reveal the church meeting once each month. Besides the usual Sunday morning service, the church met on Saturday for business, during which time the doors were opened for membership. The business meeting was preceded with a sermon by the Pastor. Until this time, Muldraugh Hill Church had been affiliated with Russell Creek Association. On Saturday before the third Sunday in October, 1889, a motion and second carried that a committee be appointed to carry the letter of withdrawal from that association to the new association to convene at Bethlehem Church in Washington County, with full power to join said association or return said letter as they may think best. Bros. C. F. Putnam, B. L. Russell and J. L. Collins were appointed as said committee. This committee, at the business session of November, 1889, stated that they joined the new association under the name of Central Association of Kentucky. This church has remained in this association to the present day. Bro. Rife refused the call for a second year because the church was unable to collect the money pledged for the pastor's salary in 1889. In January 1890, Bro. William Stallings was elected by a unanimous vote to be the next pastor. Bro. Stallings stated that he did not expect to be called, because nearly the entire membership of the church were strangers to him. He said he would accept the call on condition that the church would cooperate with him in the work and make him a salary of $120.00. At a business meeting on Saturday before the third Sunday in May, 1891, upon the suggestion of the moderator (Bro. Wm. Stallings), it was moved and carried that the church covenant be read, and that as a means of renewing our covenant and revising our list of membership, that every member who is now and who may wish to remain members shall re-sign the covenant. Names of members who re-signed the Covenant under act of the May meeting, 1891: Robert H. ShoftnerW. L. NewtonSallie B. BridgewaterMiss Lillie TurnerEllen MiskelW. G. ParsonsJ. D. NolleyAnnie FarmerJames S. ColvinSarah NolleyLucy JohnsEffie Colvin GebhartJ. D. MaupinSarah WiseFrancis WhartonMatilda BenningfieldLucy J. CarterAtwell T. HardingJ. W. ColvinJames FarmerEd FarmerJames R. RusselJ. C. SappAnnie ParrottDiannah CowherdMrs. Nannie BrockmanSamintha SettlesMinnie HaydenJames JacobsEllen GebhartMary M. SappSarah BenningfieldHenry F. MillerAmanda WadeC. W. CowherdMoriah RusselTrany A. SappCharlie RusselMargaret J. FarmerAbe WiseNorah J. LakeDennis MillsElizabeth C. AbellJessie M. RusselJohn S. WiseThomas A. BenningfieldAddle SullivanMartha E. MillsBettie NolleyIda AllenLinda MaupinFannie AllenLouisa E. ParsonsLouis CooperJohn L. CollinsB. F. RusselJohn T. FarmerRussell ThompsonEmaline ShoftnerRice AcreeMary A. E. GravesEllic HardingRussel SappSarah M. NewtonElizabeth E. RichesonMattie E. FarmerSharlottie BenningfieldMoses FarmerDebertha WiseLouisa BrockmanJanie SappMrs. J. C. BenningfieldSallie A. BrockmanMike McDemarRura JeffriesWilliam RandyesWilliam HardingArtinency AllenMattie J. AbellDirby NewcombWillard CowherdR. M. WiseMeecie HardingLinnie CarterRichard NolleyRuthie J. ColvinSallie GarrettSarah A. SappMargaret WhiteJohn H. WiseF. T. AbellAnnie Y. AbellWalter BurrisMaggie BenningfieldAlice J. HardingSophrona McNearW. C. WhiteMary C. RusselMary R. NewcombJohn E. RussellAllice MardisErmine BradyNannie Ermine HardingMattie J. BurdettePleasant BenningfieldVictoria MaupinRubin NewcombMary D. CollinsMary E. HardingIgnatious WiseMathis G. NewcombJudson W. RusselMary A. WiseW. J. FarmerAlmarinda RusselJohn A. SappMary C. NewcombAbe BenningfieldAnnie M. JohnsNathan SappTelipha JacobsLou AllenMargaret MaloneThomas BenningfieldNancy AcreeJohn BurdetteNannie E. NolleySallie HickeyJames CooperAnnie WhiteElizabeth SappLucy AllenLoula M. AbellElmira MillerAnnie PolleyMargaret McDemarJ. C. BenningfieldElizabeth DabneyStephen T. HardingSamuel BenningfieldD. Parker WiseJohn L. Collins, Jr.Nancy BenningfieldMolly MaloneJ. P. SullivanOsker ColvinT. P. JeffriesMattie E. HardingAndy JacobsHettie MaloneHugh BurrisCharley NolleyAddle BrightIgnatious GebhartPorter RaffertyAmanda NewcombIn 1892, Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church reported to Central Association a little advancement, but hoped to do better the coming year. They gave $5.00 to District Missions, $5.00 to Home Missions, $6.31 to Foreign Missions. There were 50 pupils enrolled in Sunday School with an average attendance of 25. The church extended a call to Bro. Stallings for the third year and upon his refusal, Bro. J. T. Hall became the pastor in June of 1893. On August 7, 1897, the Central Association met with the Muldraugh Hill Church for the first time. There were 11 churches in the association, and they reported 1,899 members with 7 Sunday Schools. The first mention of any trustees of the church is made during Bro. Hall's ministry here. The trustees were J. L. Collins, S. T. Harding and Porter Rafferty. Bro. J. T. Hall was our faithful pastor until his death May 5, 1905. He was laid to rest in Brookside Cemetery, Campbellsville, Ky. Resolutions of Repect as written by Bro. J. L. Collins adopted by the church at its regular meeting, Saturday before the fourth Sunday in August, 1903:Resolved first that whereas it has pleased Our Great Heavenly Father who doeth all things well, to call from us to his heavenly reward, our beloved pastor and brother, Rev. J. T. Hall, who departed this life on the fifth day of May, 1903 that we deeply mourn the loss of our beloved pastor and brother and rejoin only in the promise of our Blessed Savior that he has gone to enjoy a blessed reward for a useful life well spent in the service of the true and loving God and for the glory and advancement of His cause and kingdom in this world. Resolved second that for the ten years Bro. Hall served us so faithfully as our pastor, that we knew him as a faithful, zealous minister of the gospel of Jesus. A true Christian gentleman and honest honorable and upright citizen, abounding in faith in Christ as the Saviour of sinful men and in the grace of God. Always either by precept or example exhorting his fellowman to thoughts and deeds of righteousness and usefullness. Surely his life is worth emmulation and his works will follow him. Resolved third that we deeply sympathize with his bereaved wife and children in this time of trial and sore bereavement and commend his precepts and examples to them as worthy of their greatest consideration and imitation. Resolved fourth that it is our hearts desire and prayer to God that when our unprofitable lives of trial and sorrow shall end on earth as individuals and as the visible church of God that we may all go and-be prepared to meet our brother and Saviour together in the shining courts of Glory. Resolved fifth that a copy of these resolutions be spread upon our records, a copy sent to the bereaved family and a copy be sent to the Western Recorder for publication.J. W. Crawley accepted the call to be pastor of the church at the August business meeting in 1903. In September, 1904, he was assisted in a protracted meeting by Bro. Sam Crawley. Those added to the membership at this meeting were:Raymond GillumGeorge HudsonGirty PolleyLydia NewcombBertha GrahsmWillie JacobsSallie FarmerGeorge NewcombDorah NewcombThomas PolleySarah L. LewisNettie GrahamMary S. BenningfieldEthel JarboeArthur ColvinMartha BenningfieldEssy HayNannie ColvinCora SheltonOne of the chief items of business in early Baptist churches was the maintaining of proper behavior of its members. This was accomplished by a member reporting suspected misbehavior of another member. The accused was notified to come to church business meeting to defend himself, or confess his guilt and ask forgiveness. If the accused did not appear, a committee was appointed to visit him and report to the church. This often resulted in exclusion of the accused from the fellowship of the body. The accusations recorded in the minutes are swearing, drunkeness, fornication, adultery, dancing, "playing marbles on the Sabbath", unscriptural conduct, and failure to re-sign the covenant. The 1891 minutes of Central Association record 52 exclusions that year by erasure. However, this was unusual and perhaps not all of them were for the above mentioned reasons. Some of these were later restored to fellowship. Church records for the period between October 1904 and August, 1923 cannot be located. Therefore, we can do little more than list the names of the pastors during that time. Associational records indicate Rev. T. E. Ennis was pastor in the year 1912 through 1916. An older member recalls that he traveled by buggy and later by car from Greensburg, Ky. The same records also show that A. R. Abernathy was pastor in the year of 1917, but lists no pastor for the years 1918 and 1919.